Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cooking with Cornmeal!!

Hey all,

This week I have been playing with cornmeal! Yellow and White :) Here are a few recipes:

Fried Green TOmAToes:
(I can't pass up green tomatoes when I see them in the market)

Need:
Firm Green Tomatoes
Buttermilk
Goat Cheese (I used Fig Goat Cheese!)
Cornmeal
Seasonings of your choice. I used salt, pepper, granulated garlic and a pinch of chipotle chili powder!

Slice your tomatoes and soak them in the buttermilk for 2 hrs minimum. Meanwhile, blend your cornmeal with your seasonings. Heat about a half inch of oil in your skillet (about med.high heat). Dip the buttermilk-soaked tomatoes into your dry ingredients and shake dry. Place in oil and fry about 3-4 min on each side. Drain on paper towel. Plate up and sprinkle with crumbled Goat cheese. Enjoy!

Pan Fried Tilapia (Fish Tacos)
Use can also bake the fish.
Need:
Tilapia Fillets
AP Flour
Cornmeal
Seasonings of choice. I used salt, pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, cumin and chipotle chili powder
Lime and Cilantro Optional

 Season Tilapia with seasonings of choice. (I sometimes squeeze lime at this point before breading). Coat Fillets with a mixture of half AP flour half Cornmeal (I usually season mixture too). Heat about a half inch of oil in your skillet (about med.high heat). Place in oil and fry about 5-7 min on each side. (Or bake).. Drain on paper towel. You can squeeze fresh lime juice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro here. I enjoyed this with homemade guacamole on a corn tortilla. DELISH!!

Finally, Cornbread... Let me say. I like cornbread, but I'm not the biggest fan. It is always grainy and dry. BUT not this recipe. This is moist and sweet and buttery and YUMMY.

Need:
1/2 C melted butter (1 stick)
2/3 C white sugar
2 eggs
1/2t Baking Powder
1C Cornmeal
1C AP Flour
1t Salt

Mix Dry ingredients and in a separate bowl mix eggs and buttermilk. Mix melted butter into dry ingredients followed by buttermilk and egg. Pour into a well greased pan or cast iron skillet (I buttered the skillet with a bit of the melted butter from earlier). Pour mixture into skillet/pan and bake for about 30-45min at 350. Fork or toothpick should not come out wet when inserted into the center. This recipe is absolutely yummy!

Bad experiences with cornbread has often turned me off from cornmeal period, but my mind is changed! It adds an excellent texture to great meals!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm i have had cornbread similar to the one above with actual sweet corn kernels in it....Yummy!
    Def going to have to try the fish tacos :)

    ReplyDelete